Friday, May 23, 2008

Last week in Kathmandu. It is coming to an end, and I am sad. It is hard knowing that some of the people I have met I won't be able to see again. I feel the weight of responsibility, to connect with these people, and continue to love and support them from the other side of the planet. Some friends are illiterate, and unable to email, and can't afford to call. Most of my good byes have been said. Most of the tears wiped and gifts exchanged. This year has gone so fast. but it is over and time to move on. Tapai ko nam ke ho = Aap ke naam kya hai Unable to get into China has changed my plans for the next three weeks. I will head to Pakistan, where some friends are working. I am excited to go and see them, and to see a new place. I am REALLY bummed that I can't go to China. I wanted to badly to go and see some friends there. There were some Nepalis in particular that I wanted to connect with. The Chinese Embassy has changed their rules for applying for visa, so I am unable to go this time. Pakistan will be an adventure! I know it will be so different and difficult for me. I am used to Nepali culture and can, for the most part, switch back and forth from American culture to Nepali. I am comfortable with my role as a single, white woman here. This will all change in Pak. I will be able to understand many things since Urdu and Nepali are similar, but won't be able to respond. Maybe that is for the best, since I probably shouldn't be talking anyway. I will have a pretty steep learning curve I am sure. Please keep me in prayer. I leave Nepal on 31 May and leave Pakistan on 22 June. thanks all!

No comments: